The Sacred In-Between - 5 Lessons from the Threshold of Transformation

The light at dusk possesses a singular, fading categoricalness. It is the hour of the "interim," where the world seems to hold its breath between the clarity of day and the mystery of night. It is in this silence that we often encounter the "Threshold and Transition" - not merely as a phase to be endured, but as a psychological and spiritual destination. While our modern ego, obsessed with the "doing" and the "planning," recoils in terror from the unknown, the soul finds itself inexplicably drawn to it. We fear the dark, yet the unknown is what most strongly attracts the deepest parts of our being. This is the paradox of the threshold: to be "lost" within it is not a failure of direction, but a homecoming to the soul. The Corridor as a Sacred Space To enter a transition is to step into a psychological desert. It is a liminal space where the old structures of life have ceased to function, yet the new life has not yet taken a recognizable...

The Truth I Refused to Wear as a Disguise

I was honest. And perhaps that is what became the hardest thing between us.

Now, as the morning is only beginning to unfold and the light enters through the window as though it is afraid to disturb the silence, I think of all those moments when I stood before you without weapons, without a protective role, without the need to be liked at any cost, and told you what I saw rather than what I knew would make you comfortable. I did not soothe you with beautiful words that merely put pain to sleep for a while. I did not offer you those comforting illusions that we sometimes prefer to the truth because truth has none of the softness of a dream. It is like cold water - at first it steals the breath from you, and then it wakes you.

I simply told you what I saw.

And now I understand that sometimes the person who speaks the truth is not the problem; the problem is the image others need to preserve of themselves.

Perhaps that is why you needed to dress me.

Not literally, of course.

You dressed me in your own clothes - clothes cut according to your needs, your fears, your expectations, according to the version of me you were capable of tolerating. You chose the color, the fabric, the shape. You stitched a role onto me, and gradually you began to expect me to perform it, as though I had always been the person you imagined.

And I stood there inside that image, feeling that the garment did not belong to me.

It was too tight around the chest.

There was no room for breath.

And the more I tried to remain silent so that I would not disappoint you, the more clearly I felt that quiet inner resistance - not rebellion, not anger, but something more elemental, like water continuing to search for its own path despite every barrier placed in its way. A person can play a role that is not theirs for a very long time, but the body knows. The breath knows. Sleep knows. Silence knows.

The soul knows.

Perhaps psychoanalysis would say that when we cannot bear some part of our own inner reality, we place it onto someone else. We project. We assign. We construct an image that allows us to feel safer. The other person ceases to be a separate human being and becomes a screen onto which we project our needs, our fears, our unfinished stories.

The person disappears.

What remains is the function they serve.

Someone must be the strong one. Someone else must be the innocent one. Another must carry the blame. Another must become the rescuer. Someone must remain silent. Someone must keep confirming what the others already believe.

And the person who refuses to participate in the theatre suddenly becomes inconvenient, cold, difficult, ungrateful...

It is so much easier that way.

Because if you give me a name that allows you to contain me, you never have to encounter me as I truly am.

And you never have to encounter yourselves.

I understand why you did it.

Perhaps, with time, I have come to understand the human psyche too well - that strange inner architecture in which a person can long for truth and reject it at the very same time, desire intimacy and fear it, want to be seen and simultaneously do everything possible to remain hidden.

And this is where I arrive at something that took me a long time to name.

There is a difference between ignorance and the conscious refusal to know.

When a person does not know, they simply do not know. Ignorance can be innocent. It can be a lack of experience, a limitation of perspective, a fear, an inability to understand something for which one is not yet ready. We cannot condemn a soul for failing to see through a wall.

But there is something else.

There is that moment when the wall has already become transparent.

You see.

You feel.

You understand.

Some deeper part of you knows.

And still, you turn your face away.

That is no longer ignorance.

That is a choice.

And perhaps that is where betrayal begins.

Not when you failed to understand.

But when you understood and chose to pretend that you did not.

It is difficult for me even to use the word betrayal. It is heavy. It leaves the taste of metal in the mouth. For a long time I resisted it, because I do not want to turn human relationships into a courtroom where one person is right and another is guilty. I do not want to live there. I do not want to carry inside me a catalogue of other people's offences.

I do not judge you.

Who am I to judge you?

I am human too.

I have my blind spots, my fears, my own moments when I could not accept something because it hurt too much. I too have clung to illusions. I too have sometimes loved not the person, but the hope of who they might become. I too have postponed truths because I was not ready to bear their consequences.

I know how human that is.

So I do not judge you.

But neither can I lie and pretend that I do not see.

And this is the boundary I have had to learn.

Not to accuse you, and yet not to deny what stands before my eyes.

Not to punish you, and yet to step away from the role you assigned to me.

Not to close my heart, but to close the door to that room inside me where I had to become something else in order to be accepted.

Perhaps maturity is precisely this - learning to give up the need to be understood by everyone.

There was a time when I believed love meant explaining yourself endlessly. Staying. Repeating. Finding new words, new arguments, new ways of reaching the other person. Now I think love can also mean silence.

Not as punishment.

As respect.

Because some truths cannot be forced upon another person.

You can say, “Here is the light,” but you cannot make someone open their eyes.

You can open the window, but you cannot force another person to breathe.

You can offer water, but you cannot make the thirsty take a drink.

And here, for the first time, I began to understand something about freedom.

The freedom of another person includes their freedom to choose their own illusion.

This is painful for the one who sees.

Because when you know, there is always a temptation to rescue.

To shake them.

To call out, “Look! It is right in front of you!”

But then silence comes.

And inside that silence, you begin to understand that not every act of rescue is love. Sometimes the desire to save another person contains a hidden form of power - the wish for them to see what you see, understand what you understand, arrive where you have already arrived.

And God, at least as I understand Him, does not force.

The Divine does not shout.

It does not push against the door.

It does not compete with human blindness.

It simply remains.

Like the light at dawn.

Quiet.

Steady.

Almost invisible at first.

And waiting.

Perhaps that is why I have been thinking so much lately about divine silence.

Not as absence.

As space.

As that sacred place where God does not answer immediately because some answers must ripen within us. And sometimes that silence is more difficult than any answer. You stand there, praying, asking the same question again and again, and all you hear is your own breathing.

But perhaps that is precisely where transformation begins.

To endure silence without filling it with an invented truth.

To resist creating a God who tells you exactly what you want to hear.

To be able to say, “I do not understand.”

And then simply remain.

Somewhere deep within me, I sense that this is also the meaning of my pain.

Not to use pain to build a new identity.

Not to say, “I am the one who was betrayed.”

No.

That too would become another garment.

Another role.

Another prison.

I do not want to live as either victim or judge.

I want to remain the person who spoke the truth and accepted the consequences of having done so.

That is all.

It is not heroic.

It is not tragic.

It simply is.

And perhaps there is a kind of grace hidden inside that simplicity.

To accept that some relationships will remain unfinished.

That you may never receive the apology you expected.

That some people may never say, “Yes, I saw it. Yes, I understood. Yes, I knew.”

And that your healing cannot be postponed until another person finally confirms your reality.

That is one of the hardest freedoms.

To no longer depend upon someone else's recognition in order to trust your own eyes.

To stop waiting for someone else to validate what your soul has known for a long time.

And still...

I do not want to turn everything into a verdict.

There is tenderness left in me.

Strangely enough.

After everything.

There is still tenderness.

When I remember, I do not feel only bitterness. There is another kind of sadness, almost luminous, for what might have been if we had dared to remain without our roles. If we had removed the costumes we wear before other people. If we had left our faces unguarded and sat across from one another as a person sits before a mirror in the morning - tired, vulnerable, imperfect, real.

Perhaps then we would have understood that truth is not the enemy.

Truth is water.

It does not come to drown you.

It comes because you are thirsty.

But if you have lived too long in the desert, the first sip can hurt.

And so I do not judge you.

I do not want to correct you.

I simply take off the garment you gave me.

Slowly.

Without anger.

With the quiet reverence with which a person places before an altar something they can no longer carry.

I leave it there.

Your version of me.

Your expectation.

Your need.

Your fear.

Your story written with my name in it.

And I return to myself.

Not to a perfect version of myself.

Not to some “true self” that possesses all the answers.

But to the unfinished one.

The one who is still afraid sometimes.

Who sometimes remains silent.

Who prays and hears no answer.

Who stands at the threshold between the old and the new and does not know what tomorrow will look like.

Perhaps this is transformation.

Not becoming complete.

But stopping the violence of forcing yourself to become what you are not.

Letting the unfinished remain unfinished.

Letting some questions remain unanswered.

Accepting that some people may never understand.

And accepting yourself without the sentence imposed by the past.

Outside, the light has already grown stronger.

The sun is rising slowly, as though it too needs time.

I leave the window open.

I breathe.

And I think that perhaps, in the end, truth is not simply what we say to other people.

Perhaps truth is what remains inside us when there is no one left to applaud us, accuse us, believe us, or understand us.

It remains in the silence.

In the breath.

In that place within us to which no one else has access.

And there, exactly there, when a person stops fighting to be seen, they begin to see.

They see others.

They see themselves.

They see the wound.

They see the love.

They see their own participation in the story.

And then, perhaps, for the first time, they stop asking:

“Who is to blame?”

And begin to ask only:

“What must I release in order to remain faithful to what I know?”

I do not know the answer completely.

Perhaps I am not meant to.

Perhaps some answers are meant to be lived rather than spoken.

So this morning I ask nothing of you.

Not recognition.

Not an apology.

Not understanding.

I simply leave the truth where it has always been.

Before you.

Before me.

And before God.

Quiet.

Without decoration.

Without the role you gave me.

Without the clothes that were never mine.

And for the first time in a long while, I feel that I can take a full breath.

 

The Truth I Refused to Wear as a Disguise, себепознание, психоанализа, духовно израстване, лична изповед, истина и илюзии, психология, философски размисли, есе дневник, утринна медитация, прошка, сянката в психологията, вътрешен мир, подсъзнание, автентичност, приемане, емоционална интелигентност

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Fireflies on the Path - journals" - e-book

The Longing for the Incomplete - The Psychoanalytic Labyrinth

The Birth Within - Why Our Deepest Struggles are Echoes of Our First Breath

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *