The Sacred In-Between - 5 Lessons from the Threshold of Transformation

The light at dusk possesses a singular, fading categoricalness. It is the hour of the "interim," where the world seems to hold its breath between the clarity of day and the mystery of night. It is in this silence that we often encounter the "Threshold and Transition" - not merely as a phase to be endured, but as a psychological and spiritual destination. While our modern ego, obsessed with the "doing" and the "planning," recoils in terror from the unknown, the soul finds itself inexplicably drawn to it. We fear the dark, yet the unknown is what most strongly attracts the deepest parts of our being. This is the paradox of the threshold: to be "lost" within it is not a failure of direction, but a homecoming to the soul. The Corridor as a Sacred Space To enter a transition is to step into a psychological desert. It is a liminal space where the old structures of life have ceased to function, yet the new life has not yet taken a recognizable...

The Sacred Return - A Journal Essay on Grace, Earth, and Reclaiming the Soul

 

There are mornings when time pauses its linear rush and condenses into a single, transparent drop of dew, reflecting the entirety of the path traveled. Nine years ago, on my way back from the neighborhood supermarket, on one of those gray, dusty afternoons when the city seems endlessly repetitive and weary, a soft meow called out to me from the grass along the sidewalk. It was not merely a sound uttered by a small body; it was a rupture in the dense fabric of my daily routine back then - a delicate yet piercing cry that tore through the silence of my inner alienation. When I bent down, I saw a beautiful, white kitten with golden-green eyes. Stray. A complete shift of perspective occurred within a single microcosm of fluff and light, shared between the sidewalk concrete and the wild earth. I was convinced that I had to take her. And so I did. Without hesitation, without analysis, without prior calculation - a response that surged from the very depths of being, far beyond calculating reason.

Looking back through the prism of the nine years that have passed reveals not merely the memory of a merciful act, but a moment of profound spiritual and psychoanalytic substitution. In that instant, I believed I was making a subjective choice, that my conscious "Ego" was saving a fragile creature from the harshness of the streets. Today, I know with humble certainty that Zari - the white kitten - was the one who chose me to take her, not the other way around. In psychoanalytic discourse, this phenomenon might be defined as an encounter with the archetype of Transfiguration - when the Unconscious sends an external object to pierce the hardened armor of the Ego. On a spiritual level, however, the truth is even simpler and deeper: God sent her into my life. She was an invisible messenger, embodied grace sent with a precise mission - to dismantle the false constructs of my urban identity and bring me back home.

Until that moment, my existence was entirely subordinated to the matrix of the modern city. I was fully oriented toward the city, the IT sector, companies, careers, structured goals, and the sense of pseudo-control that the digital world so adeptly feeds. The city, with its high speed and logical structures, offered me a refuge from inner empty spaces. In a psychoanalytic context, immersing oneself in the IT field and career ambition often serves as an ideal defense mechanism of intellectualization and sublimation. By turning my life into a series of algorithms, projects, and corporate successes, I had constructed a rational tower that protected me from the elemental nature of feelings and the primal uncertainty of existence.

Yet beneath this modern, high-tech facade lived a deep, transgenerational fear. For generations, we were raised in the belief that the land, the village, and physical labor were tied to misery, spiritual darkness, hardship, and social decline. Our ancestors had fled from the fields to the cities, driven by the trauma of poverty, seeking salvation in concrete, asphalt, and the security of institutions. This inherited ancestral fear had created an internal taboo zone - the village was perceived as a place of abandonment, something to be escaped as far from as possible. And I, as a typical representative of my time, had accepted this collective illusion as my own truth.

And then she appeared - a small, white cat with eyes the color of gold and green grass, who simply settled into my life and began to dismantle it with the quiet force of natural law. It turned my life upside down. Suddenly, the values I had spent years building - titles, corporate hierarchies, urban prestige - began to look hollow, stripped of real, living vitality. My priorities rearranged themselves not through painful conflict, but through a natural elevation of a new consciousness. A shift was triggered within me - a return to roots, the earth, animals, nature, the village. It was a process of psychoanalytic integration, in which the connection to nature, previously repressed from consciousness, broke back to the surface to heal the inherent split of the urban human being.

The change did not remain encapsulated solely within my inner world; like a wave, it spilled over and touched our entire ancestral structure. Subsequently, my family underwent its own cathartic transformation - my parents went to live at the countryside cottage. The land, once perceived as a burden, opened its arms to them, becoming a space of healing and slow, deep joy. And it was there that we brought Zari to live in freedom - the white kitten who had once called out to me from the sidewalk grass. To see this creature running through the open space, hunting in the grass, resting in the shade of the fruit trees, was like witnessing redemptive grace in its natural habitat. Zari was returned to the freedom she was born for, and in her freedom, I discovered the true meaning of my own.

Today, as I stand in the silence of the country yard and contemplate all the transformation that unfolded simply from one cat, I feel a sacred, trembling awe before the secret mechanisms of Providence. How is it possible for a small animal to rewrite the life script of an entire family? The answer lies in the fact that she brought with her a new way of looking at the land, at nature, and at the village. She shattered my internal prejudices and revealed to me a simple yet deeply unspoken truth: the village is not something shameful to run away from, as we once fled out of fear of poverty and misery.

Psychoanalysis teaches us that what we flee from with the greatest fear often holds the key to our wholeness. Our flight from the land was a flight from our own roots, from our ancestral flesh. We traded the genuine security of nature for the illusory security of urban institutions. But when the fog of vanity clears, the truth shines with undeniable clarity: misery is actually in the city... wealth is nature - the clean air, the sun, the earth, the water, freedom, open space and the horizon, the trees, the yard, the garden, the animals...

Urban misery is not merely material; it is, above all, spiritual and sensory. It consists of confined vision, blocked by tall facades; dust-laden air passed through thousands of lungs; relentless background noise that closes the inner ear to the voice of God; alienation from one's neighbor and from oneself. In the city, one lives in a state of constant hyperstimulation and stress, where time is a resource to be spent, not lived.

True wealth, on the contrary, is free, inexhaustible, and ever-present within the bosom of creation. It is in breathing air soaked with the scent of mown grass and moist soil; feeling the sun's rays warm your skin without the mediation of glass facades; drinking clean water drawn from the depths of the mountain; watching the horizon unfold endlessly before your eyes, restoring lost inner space. In the garden, among the trees and small animals, one becomes once more a co-creator in the Divine act of creation. There, every planted seed is an act of faith, and every sunrise a silent liturgy.

In this spiritual perspective, Zari was an instrument of Divine pedagogy. God rarely uses thunderous revelations to awaken us from our spiritual slumber. He more often uses the smallest, most vulnerable creatures to test our capacity to love and to listen. Hidden in her golden-green eyes was the silence of the Garden of Eden - that primordial harmony we had lost in the pursuit of hollow social status. She reminded me of what Carl Jung calls the "Anima" - the life-giving, intuitive, contemplative soul that urban rationality so systematically attempts to strangle.

I remember how, at the beginning of this process, two worlds warred within me. On one side was reason, schooled in city offices, asking me what I was doing, why I was straying from my secure career path, why I was devoting time to things with no market value. On the other side was the quiet yet relentless voice of the heart, nourished by the presence of the white cat and the scent of country soil. Gradually, the inner conflict faded, giving way to a deep, serene confidence. I realized that the true progress of the human soul consists not in conquering new social summits, but in learning to humble oneself, to step down, kiss the earth, and give thanks for the air you breathe.

Time in the village moves to an entirely different rhythm - it is not measured by clock hands or the notification sounds of a smartphone, but by the breath of the seasons. Spring carrying the promise of resurrection; summer, the abundance of fruition; autumn, the noble gathering of crops and the letting go of the superfluous; and winter, the sacred silence of sleep and prayer. In this rhythm, there is no place for urban neuroticism, because nature never rushes, yet completes everything. The animals in the yard - with their simplicity and lack of pretense - teach us the greatest lesson in presence. They do not worry about tomorrow, nor do they carry the burden of the past; they simply exist in the fullness of the divine Now.

Sometimes I ask myself: what would have happened if, on that dusty afternoon nine years ago, I had walked past that meow in the grass? If I had been wearing headphones, absorbed in my next work project or thoughts of career advancement? It is terrifying to realize how close I came to missing my own salvation. How many times in life does God pass us by in the form of something fragile, homeless, and unnoticed, while we walk past Him because we are too busy building our Babylonian towers of concrete and illusion?

I am grateful for that divine blindness, which was healed by the gaze of a cat. I am grateful that I was found. For in the end, I did not rescue Zari from the street - Zari was sent to gather the scattered pieces of my soul and return them to their Creator.

Now, as the sun slowly begins to rise above the hills behind the cottage, gilding the treetops and dew drops on the grass, I watch Zari sitting quietly on the threshold. Her white fur glows in the morning light, and her golden-green eyes look toward the broad horizon with that same eternal wisdom that stopped me on the sidewalk nine years ago. In this morning silence, there is no need for further words, no need for theories, no need for proof. There is only pure presence, breath, gratitude, and the realization that I am exactly where I was always meant to be - at home, with the earth, with God, with freedom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Fireflies on the Path - journals" - e-book

The Longing for the Incomplete - The Psychoanalytic Labyrinth

The Birth Within - Why Our Deepest Struggles are Echoes of Our First Breath

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *