The Sacred In-Between - 5 Lessons from the Threshold of Transformation

The light at dusk possesses a singular, fading categoricalness. It is the hour of the "interim," where the world seems to hold its breath between the clarity of day and the mystery of night. It is in this silence that we often encounter the "Threshold and Transition" - not merely as a phase to be endured, but as a psychological and spiritual destination. While our modern ego, obsessed with the "doing" and the "planning," recoils in terror from the unknown, the soul finds itself inexplicably drawn to it. We fear the dark, yet the unknown is what most strongly attracts the deepest parts of our being. This is the paradox of the threshold: to be "lost" within it is not a failure of direction, but a homecoming to the soul. The Corridor as a Sacred Space To enter a transition is to step into a psychological desert. It is a liminal space where the old structures of life have ceased to function, yet the new life has not yet taken a recognizable...

The Threshold of Being - On Survival Mode, Scarcity, and Sacred Surrender


 
 

Morning enters the room not as a triumph, but as a quiet absolution. There is a specific hour before sunrise when the light still lacks color, and the air smells of cooled dust, cold coffee, and unfinished dreams. At this hour, cup in hand and gaze fixed on the motionless shadow of the windowsill, I find myself once again within the same internal landscape - one that has turned into a quiet chronicle. Survival mode (save mode) - what a technical, almost cold expression for such a somatic, tormented state of the spirit.

Psychoanalytic thought would call this an archaic defense mechanism, a radical shrinking of the boundaries of the Ego down to the smallest possible core, in order to preserve the psychic structure under the weight of prolonged, chronic stress. This is the moment when intrapsychic energy - that fundamental libido that usually propels us toward creativity, spontaneity, connection, expansion, and the exploration of the world - withdraws back from external objects. All systems are switched to minimum consumption. Life is reduced to basic breathing, to the mechanical maintenance of a pulse, to surviving under conditions of severe lack of resources.

And yet, if I look at this state not through the diagnosis of exhaustion, but through the eyes of the spirit, this is the time of the desert. That ancient, sacred wilderness into which the hermits went not to die, but to strip their souls bare of all superfluous ornaments, social roles, and false securities. When you possess only a tenth of what you need for a normal existence, you are forced to meet that raw, unpolished part of yourself that no external abundance before had ever managed to satisfy.

This financial drought, this financial stagnation, is not merely a lack of digits in a bank account or a temporary economic difficulty. To the unconscious, it functions as a symbolic castration of possibilities, as a gradual, systematic contraction of living space. When income is barely one-tenth of what is needed for an expanded, tranquil life, the Ego experiences a constant microtrauma - each new day is a crude reminder of a boundary, a limitation, an inability to contain the future.

A background, draining anxiety emerges, which does not scream, but whispers unhindered in the back of the mind. This anxiety is like a quiet engine idling in a closed garage; it poisons the air without moving me a single meter forward. All of this leads to a profound emotional exhaustion, wherein even the smallest daily task feels like leaping over a chasm. Psychoanalytically, this is the fatigue of constantly maintaining repression - all available energy is spent not on living and creating, but on keeping panic from breaking through the surface.

Spiritually, however, this exhaustion is a hidden invitation to completely renounce the illusion of control. When you have nothing left to pay for your false autonomy, you are finally left empty-handed before the Divine. Saint Teresa of Ávila wrote of the empty cup, which must first be thoroughly drained of worldly opiates so that it may receive grace. Perhaps this standstill is not a punishment or a failure, but a forced cleansing of the vessel of my soul from everything I had for years mistaken for real life.

And here lies the most insidious trap of this state: paralysis by waiting. How easy it is to turn your life into a waiting room, a station on an abandoned track, where you endlessly check the board of arriving trains. You find yourself in a perpetual expectation of change - waiting for a career fresh start, waiting to relocate (a new home), waiting for new friends, waiting for a man who might break the spell of isolation.

Psychoanalytically speaking, this passive waiting is a classic mechanism of projection and regression - an infantile fantasy of salvation, wherein the external object (the new job, the lover, the new home) is charged with the magical function of coming to integrate me, to gather the scattered pieces of my subjectivity, and to grant me an official right to exist. Waiting becomes a treacherous form of resistance: as long as I wait for ideal conditions, I am exempt from the responsibility of living in the imperfect present. Waiting gives me the excuse to remain in my "save mode," because the right moment has not yet arrived.

Yet spiritual contemplation teaches us something entirely different. True expectation (expectatio) is not paralysis, but supreme alertness. It is not standing passively in the emergency lane, but an inner state of prayerful presence. The difference between paralysis and sacred expectation lies in where consciousness is situated - whether it is trapped in the fantasy of tomorrow or fully embodied in the present sorrowful, yet living moment.

The longing to relocate (a new home) feels at night like a physical tightness in the chest. The house, in Jungian psychology, is the most direct symbol of the psychic structure, of the total self and its inner architecture. When I long for a new home, I am actually longing for a new inner refuge - a place where the walls are not propped up by memories of financial failures, anxiety, and weariness. The desire for a change of location is often a timid attempt to flee from my own internal geography, carrying my old wounds to a new address in the hope that the new landscape will magically heal them. But unless I change the way I inhabit my own body and breath, every new home will quickly turn into that same dusty waiting room.

The same holds true for the longing for new friends and a career fresh start. We seek external revalidation, a new social matrix that will reflect us differently - not as poor, exhausted, or lonely, but as fulfilled, valuable, and loved beings. This is a natural human hunger for an affirming mirror image (mirroring), about which Donald Winnicott wrote so extensively: we need a maternal, holding environment (holding environment) to contain our anxiety when our own psyche is too fragile to do so on its own.

Yet among all these absences, the quietest and at the same time sharpest is loneliness. To be alone in the room when the light fades, knowing that the expenses, the decisions, the fatigue, and the sleeplessness are borne solely on your own shoulders. Searching for a partner in this state is an extremely delicate, almost dangerous endeavor. When the Ego is in a state of total depletion, it does not merely seek a companion to share with; it seeks a savior, a container, a parental object to take on the weight of its existence.

Psychoanalysis warns us that when we enter a relationship from a position of acute lack and 1/10th of our resources, we inevitably repeat patterns of dependency - we attract either those who want to rescue us (and subsequently control us), or those who are equally empty and seek from us what we do not have to give.

Spiritually, however, solitude is the great laboratory of the sacred. It is the place where our capacity to be in a nuptial union first with God’s presence within us is tested. Christ’s experience in the Garden of Gethsemane is the supreme archetype of total, utterly stripped-bare solitude - the moment when all friends sleep, the world is indifferent, and Heaven is silent. In this silence of absolute abandonment, what is born is not death, but true surrender. To be able to abide in your solitude without filling it with chaotic actions, compromise relationships, or cheap illusions is an act of immense spiritual courage.

Within me burns a vast, almost feverish longing for transformation. This is not merely a desire for cosmetic change, for a little more money, or a new wall color; it is a cry for metanoia - for a complete turning around of the mind, for a change in the very matrix of my being. But how does transformation happen when you have no resources left?

The world of positive thinking and modern productivity culture urges us toward aggressive action: "get up, do, change, invest." But that is the language of expansion, a language for those with a full tank. When you are running on hazard lights, trying to force the engine only leads to its ultimate burnout. Psychoanalytic transformation does not occur through a forced leap, but through experiencing and integrating the Shadow - by granting permission to be weak, empty, frightened, and incapable.

True transformation begins where the egoistic project of self-salvation ends. In spiritual tradition, this is called holy surrender (surrender). This is not passive capitulation before an enemy or helpless despair; it is the full realization that my own Ego, with its small capabilities, has reached its absolute limit, and the opening of the door for a greater Reality to take control.

I observe my breathing. Inhalation is accepting the world as it is; exhalation is letting go of control. Every inhalation is a small resurrection, every exhalation a small death. Within this microcosm of the body lies the entire dynamic of my current life. I am trapped between the fear of the death of my old way of life and the fear of the birth of the new. This is the liminal space - the threshold.

At the threshold, it is always cold, windy, and uncomfortable. On the threshold there is no furniture, no security, no status. But the threshold is the only place through which one can pass from one room into another. We have stopped at the threshold because we fear letting go of the old room - even if it is narrow, dusty, and has barely 1/10th of light - because it is at least familiar. We project onto the new room our deepest hopes, but also our most terrifying infantile fears of abandonment and failure.

What does it mean, then, to exit survival mode today, right in this ray of sunlight that has just touched the corner of the table? It means to stop turning the present into a mere vehicle for reaching the future. It means realizing that this tenth of a resource I have today is not "little," but is everything destined for this specific sunrise. If I can live it with full awareness, without poisoning it with anxiety for tomorrow, I restore my sacred connection with Being.

Grace does not arrive in tons; it comes like heavenly manna in the desert - exactly as much as is needed for today. When we try to hoard it for tomorrow, it rots. My anxiety is merely a blind attempt to store security for a future for which I have not yet been granted grace.

And so, I sit in the silence. The outer world hurries, builds, buys, sells, falls in love, and moves. I sit in my inner monastery, running on my "hazard lights," and for the first time in a long time, I stop fighting this state. I accept it. I accept my fatigue. I accept my empty bank account. I accept my solitude. I accept the fact that at this moment I do not know where I am going or who exactly I will be tomorrow.

In this full, unreserved acceptance lies a quiet, almost imperceptible shift in the dynamics of the Self. Anxiety begins to lose its density because it no longer has anything to collide against. Resistance is gone. I drop anchor into the very bottom of my lack, and there, at the bottom, I discover not an abyss, but solid rock. The rock of simple existence. I am. Even without money, without a new home, without a man beside me, without a glamorous career - I am. This is the first ray of the authentic Self, cleansed of social roles, consumer expectations, and narcissistic crutches.

Perhaps this is the true career new beginning - not a change in job title, but a change in the posture from which I engage with the world. To stop working to survive, and to begin being in order to create. Perhaps the new home is not another postal code or a new neighborhood, but this new way of inhabiting my own soul - with more mercy toward my own vulnerability, with more patience toward my own slow, grounded rhythm.

And the new man, the new friends? They will appear when I stop seeking them as crutches for my limping self-esteem and become capable of meeting them as equal companions in the mystery of life. Until then, silence is my most faithful, most profound confidant.

Morning is fully here now. Light fills the room completely, blurring the remaining shadows in the corners. I breathe deeply. I do not know what today brings, nor exactly how the puzzles of my material existence will align in the coming months. But I know that at this moment, right here, I lack nothing essential. Life is here - throbbing, merciful, unfathomable. I let go of expectation. I let go of waiting. I step onto the floor with bare feet and take my first step into today - not to save my life, but simply to live it.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Fireflies on the Path - journals" - e-book

The Longing for the Incomplete - The Psychoanalytic Labyrinth

The Birth Within - Why Our Deepest Struggles are Echoes of Our First Breath

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *