At the Threshold of September - A Meditative Journal on Surrender and Grace
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Morning enters the room silently, with that peculiar, almost glass-like transparency unique to the light at the beginning of September. Everything around is still asleep or awakening timidly, while I hold my pen over the blank page, feeling time make its imperceptible yet profound turn. A new month. September 1st. I write these words slowly, as if carving the first marks into an untouched stone. There is something fundamental, almost primeval, in the human longing to place boundaries upon the infinite, unbroken flow of existence. Our psyche requires these artificial thresholds - these calendar markers - to pause for a moment, catch its breath, and reorganize its inner chaos. September has always carried this duality: it is simultaneously a farewell and a promise, a quiet grief for the summer slipping through our fingers like dry sand, and a silent gathering of oneself before the approaching cold. In this transitional hour, as the day barely touches the horizon, my consciousness dissolves between dream and waking, between who I was in the passing months and who I have yet to become.
Welcome; I wish for it to be peaceful, abundant, with moments of joy and happiness, for us to be healthy, for new endeavors to be successful, and for us to live it according to God’s Will. When I speak this aloud into the silence of the room, the words sound like an incantation, but also like an ancient, primal prayer. Yet behind this simple human desire for peace lies something far deeper - the longing of our troubled soul for integration and inner order. What does it actually mean for a month to be peaceful? Psychoanalysis teaches us that true peace is not the absence of storms or an escape from external conflicts, but the ego's ability to hold its own destructive impulses, to accept its shadows, and to exist at peace with its own imperfection. Peace is a state of an inner vessel strong enough to contain both grief and exultation without shattering.
And what is abundance? We often confuse abundance with external accumulation, with the possession of objects, status, or external validation. But in its essence, abundance is a state of density of presence. It is the art of drinking from the spring of the present moment without fearing that it will run dry. It is feeling that within yourself, in the most hidden and untouched corners of your being, everything necessary for your growth already exists. The moments of joy and happiness for which I pray are not cheap fireworks of fleeting pleasure; they are those rare, sacred fissures in the dense fabric of everyday life through which grace reveals itself to us. They are brief manifestations of the transcendent, in which we stop fighting life for a second and simply allow it to love us.
The prayer for health - "for us to be healthy" - carries a deep somatic and spiritual resonance within it. The body is the most faithful archive of our inner life; it preserves every unspoken pain, every unprocessed fear, every loss we have tried to forget. To be healthy means not merely the absence of physical ailment, but the restoration of the lost dialogue between body, mind, and spirit. It means forgiving our flesh for its vulnerability and transience, inhabiting it with loving awareness, and understanding that the body is the sacred temple in which our soul conducts its earthly experience.
And the new endeavors... Every new beginning carries with it the shadow of the fear of failure. When I ask for new endeavors to be successful, I am actually confronting that ancient, childhood fear of rejection and the unknown that slumbers deep within each of us. The psyche, by virtue of its inertia, loves the familiar, even when it is painful or limiting. To step into the new is an act of courage that requires the dissolution of old identities, leaving the cozy safety of the comfort zone, and crossing the threshold of the possible. Success, in this deep, spiritual sense, is not measured by external applause, but by how much a new undertaking brings us closer to our authentic self, how much it allows us to unfold the potential placed within us by the Creator.
Yet the weightiest, most mature, and most liberating part of this sentence is that quiet clause that alters everything: "to live it according to God’s Will." Here, my human ego - with its ambitions and the control with which it so feverishly attempts to grasp life in its fist - is forced to bend and kneel. From a psychoanalytic perspective, the desire to control everything is a desperate defense mechanism against foundational anxiety and the realization of our own insignificance before the magnitude of the cosmos. But from a spiritual perspective, accepting God's Will is the ultimate act of humility and trust. It is a complete surrender - not as capitulation or passive resignation, but as a voluntary opening of the palms. To say "Thy will be done" means acknowledging that the Creator knows the path better than your limited consciousness ever could. It means ceasing to battle the river of life and trusting its current, even when it leads through dark gorges or toward unexpected waterfalls.
At this point of humility, the cry of the soul erupts, stripped of all intellectual constructs: Help us, Lord! Watch over us and protect us. Guide our paths.
In these three brief sentences lies the entire vulnerability of human existence. Within them is gathered the cry of the child afraid of the dark, but also the cry of the mature human who has known the depths of their own helplessness. I recall those moments in my life when I felt entirely lost, when my own plans collapsed like a house of cards, and my reason could find no logical way out. It was precisely then, in the absolute silence of human defeat, that for the first time I felt the presence of that invisible Hand that protects and guides.
Divine protection does not always spare us suffering or trials. Often, the deepest protection consists precisely in being allowed to pass through the fire, but without being consumed completely; to lose our illusions, yet keep our soul intact. God does not remove the stones from our path, but gives us sturdy shoes and light in the dark so we can see where we tread. When I pray, "Guide our paths," I am acknowledging that my own inner compass is sometimes distorted by the magnetic storms of passion, egoism, and fear. We stand in need of an External, Supreme Light to orient our steps.
Outside, beyond the window, the first ray of sunlight pierces the morning mist and falls directly upon the white sheet before me. This ray is so warm, so alive, that for a moment it feels as though space itself around me speaks without words. I am reminded of the power of silence - that divine stillness which is not void, but overflowing with presence. We often fear God's silence, interpreting it as abandonment or a sign of His absence. But in truth, God’s silence is the space in which we are granted the freedom to choose to believe. In that silence we grow; within it we transform from children into adults capable of conscious love and trust.
September comes with lessons in letting go. The leaves on the trees will soon begin to change color, yellowing and falling to the earth, fulfilling their natural life cycle without resistance, without a cry, without drama. They let go of the branch because they know it is the only way for the tree to endure winter and give birth to new life in spring. What profound, silent wisdom resides in this natural self-abnegation! How much of our suffering stems solely from the fact that we clutch onto what has already run its course - old relationships, transient roles, outgrown ideas of who we are. September teaches us the art of releasing the obsolete with gratitude, making space within ourselves for the new that God wishes to plant in the garden of our soul.
I sit in the silence and feel my own breathing - inhalation and exhalation. Every breath in is an acceptance of life as it is given to us; every breath out is trust and surrender. Breathing is the first and most immediate bridge between the visible and invisible worlds, between flesh and spirit. As long as I breathe, I am alive. As long as I breathe, there is hope. Every morning is a small resurrection, and the first day of a new month is a fresh chance to write our story differently - with more kindness, more compassion toward ourselves and those around us, and a more restrained, quiet joy.
Today I will not rush. I will allow the day to unfold before me without pressure, without unnecessary expectations, without the pretense that I must conquer the world. It is enough simply to be present. It is enough to be awake to the miracle of existence, to the morning chill, the aroma of coffee, the warm glance of a loved one, and the invisible grace that keeps this entire world from unraveling. In these simple, ordinary things lies the sacred. God does not live only in grand cathedrals or exalted theological treatises; He is here, in this morning stillness, in this quiet breath, in this prayer written with a trembling hand.
I look back at the words on the page. They are no longer merely text; they are seeds planted in the deep soil of my consciousness. I lay down the pen. Outside, the light now fills the entire room, scattering the last remnants of shadow. In my heart, despite all uncertainties and though I do not know what tomorrow brings, a deep, quiet, and luminous peace settles in.
The month may begin. I am here. We are here. The path lies open before us, and the Light is already waiting at the next bend.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps

Comments
Post a Comment