The Sacred In-Between - 5 Lessons from the Threshold of Transformation

The light at dusk possesses a singular, fading categoricalness. It is the hour of the "interim," where the world seems to hold its breath between the clarity of day and the mystery of night. It is in this silence that we often encounter the "Threshold and Transition" - not merely as a phase to be endured, but as a psychological and spiritual destination. While our modern ego, obsessed with the "doing" and the "planning," recoils in terror from the unknown, the soul finds itself inexplicably drawn to it. We fear the dark, yet the unknown is what most strongly attracts the deepest parts of our being. This is the paradox of the threshold: to be "lost" within it is not a failure of direction, but a homecoming to the soul. The Corridor as a Sacred Space To enter a transition is to step into a psychological desert. It is a liminal space where the old structures of life have ceased to function, yet the new life has not yet taken a recognizable...

The Alchemy of Vulnerability - When Silence Outweighs the Blow

 

The night has grown still in the corners of the room, as if it, too, fears disturbing the fragile equilibrium of the silence that trickles down the walls like invisible, cool water. I sit before the blank page and feel my breath transform into a rhythm, a pendulum marking time not in seconds, but in the pulsations of memory. My mind, weary from the day’s clamor, returns to those words that for centuries have weighed upon human consciousness with their unbearable purity: “If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to them the other also.” How many times have these words been interpreted as a call to weakness, as the submission of the victim? Yet here, in the twilight of my solitude, they begin to reveal a completely different, daunting, and yet liberating relief. I look into my own inner scars and realize that this gesture is not an act of capitulation, but a radical transformation of the very space of pain.

From the perspective of my psyche, a blow is never merely a physical touch; it is a breach in the protective shell of the ego, a sudden and brutal invasion by the “other” who seeks to define my worth through their violence. When someone strikes me—with a word, with contempt, or with genuine rage - they are actually trying to ensnare me in their own trauma, to make me a mirror of their inner chaos. The primal impulse of my “I” is to strike back, to restore balance through reciprocity, to erect a wall of anger that hides the narcissistic wound. But what happens if I refuse this dance of mirrors? To turn the other cheek is an act of psychoanalytic loosening of the ego’s grip, a refusal to identify with the role of the victim or the avenger. It is the moment I stop being a reactive object and become the subject of a deeper, almost non-human freedom.

It is as if, in this gesture, I am saying: “You cannot hurt me where I truly exist.” Turning the other cheek is the baring of a zone beyond defenses, the place of my deepest vulnerability, which paradoxically proves to be my greatest strength. This is the space where the spirit detaches from instinct. In a psychoanalytic sense, it is the refusal to submit to the lex talionis - an eye for an eye - which is embedded in the most ancient layers of our subconscious. When I offer the other cheek, I break the chain of causality; I introduce an element of divine unpredictability into the mechanical world of reaction.

I breathe in the cool air and imagine water flowing over a stone - it does not fight it, it embraces it, it permeates it with its softness until, finally, the stone turns to sand. Perhaps this is the spiritual meaning of this teaching - not a masochistic search for suffering, but kenosis, a self-emptying that allows the divine light to pass through us without meeting the resistance of our pride. When the ego is struck, it contracts; it becomes dense and dark. But when we open ourselves to the blow with peace, we expand. We become larger than our pain.

I often ask myself in these pre-dawn hours whether this turning is not actually a quest for integration with the shadow. The one who strikes me is a carrier of my own repressed aggression, of my own imperfections that I see projected onto them. By offering my other side, I accept this shadow; I do not repel it back into the darkness of the unconscious, but invite it into the light, into the space of my compassion. This is the transformation of aggression into presence. How much silence is needed not to scream? How much faith is required to believe that within silence lies a response more powerful than any cry?

Sometimes my memory surfaces like a drowning man, reminding me of moments of small, everyday betrayals - a cold look from a loved one, an unjust word from a stranger. In those moments, my heart shrinks like a frightened bird. But now, through the prism of this nocturnal contemplation, I understand that every such pain was an opportunity for spiritual birth. We are unfinished beings, in a constant process of becoming, and often the blow is the chisel that chips away the excess pieces from the marble of our personality. To give the other cheek means to consent to the process of one’s own shaping, to accept that light enters us through the cracks, as the poet says.

The meaning of this gesture lies in its incompleteness. It does not demand an end; it does not seek victory. It is pure movement, a gesture of faith in something that stands beyond the visible. In a spiritual perspective, it is an imitation of divine silence in the face of human folly. God does not strike back, not because He is weak, but because His love is so vast that every blow is lost within it like a stone thrown into an ocean. To turn the other cheek is to become a little more like that ocean. To understand that your identity does not depend on how others treat you, but on how you choose to remain in love, despite them.

My thoughts slow down, becoming heavier and deeper, like water in a well. I feel a longing for that silence which is not merely an absence of sound, but a fullness of presence. Perhaps the hardest part of giving the other cheek is not the act itself, but the inner work of erasing the resentment. Psychoanalysis teaches us that repressed anger turns into poison, into depression, or into illness. But this is not about repression. This is about an alchemy of feelings. When I offer my other side, I do not “swallow” the insult; I dissolve it in a higher consciousness. I choose to see my attacker as a suffering being whose blow is actually a cry for help, a manifestation of their own dividedness and pain. In that moment, I am no longer their target; I become their witness.

There is something sacred in this - in the refusal to increase the amount of darkness in the world. Every time we do not return a blow, we stop a small wave of hatred that would otherwise continue to travel through time and space, affecting other lives. This is the quiet redemption of the ordinary. We do not need great feats to transform the world; we only need to master those few inches of space between the other’s hand and our own heart.

The night begins to fade, and the grey of the dawn recalls the softness of ash. Ash, from which new life can be born. I feel vulnerable, as if my skin has become thinner, but within this thin skin pulses a new clarity. To turn the other cheek is a form of prayer without words; it is an admission that we are not masters of the truth, but merely its conduits. It is an act of transformation where the body becomes an altar, and the pain - an offering.

What would happen if we truly lived this way? If every disagreement, every rift were met not with a shield, but with open arms? The world would likely think us mad. But is it not madness to continue hurting one another in an endless cycle of retribution? Our psyche yearns for rest, for a return to that lost wholeness where “I” and the “other” are not enemies, but mirror images of the same divine spark. Forgiveness is not something we do for the other; it is something we allow to happen within us, so that we may breathe again.

The light of the new day begins to touch the objects in the room, revealing their outlines - the old cup, the book, my own hands. Everything seems simultaneously familiar and strange. I feel that this letter to myself is only the beginning of a long journey toward inner stillness. There are so many cheeks to turn, so many layers of the ego that must be pierced to reach the core of our being. But in this incompleteness, there is grace. In the fact that we are still learning how to love our enemies (who are most often just parts of ourselves), lies the sacred dynamics of life.

I close the notebook, but the words remain vibrating within me. They are not answers; they are rather doors. To give the other cheek is not the final destination, but the direction itself - toward a state of being where nothing can be taken away because nothing is possessed with selfishness. This is the freedom of the poor in spirit spoken of in the Beatitudes. In this poverty, we are infinitely rich because we are open to everything life brings us—the blow, the caress, and the silence.

I remain here, watching the rising sun, which does not choose upon whom to cast its rays but simply shines - on the righteous and the unrighteous alike. And perhaps this is the highest form of the “other cheek”: to be a light that does not fear the darkness, because it knows that darkness is only a place where the light has not yet arrived. In this sense of scale, in this merging of personal suffering with the universal rhythm of compassion, I find my peace. The night has gone, leaving behind a sense of washing, of purification. My breath is steady. My heart, though a little bruised, is wide open. And in this moment of quiet transformation, I understand that to turn the other cheek is actually the most beautiful way to say “thank you” for the very gift of existence, in all its cruel and holy beauty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Fireflies on the Path - journals" - e-book

The Longing for the Incomplete - The Psychoanalytic Labyrinth

The Birth Within - Why Our Deepest Struggles are Echoes of Our First Breath

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *